Thursday, June 30, 2011

Listen Well and Don't Tell

Many people when you say something like, "Gosh I'm tired" will respond with something like, "Not as tired as I am". What most of we human beings want is social connection and human caring and yes, even touch. But it has become discouraging to me how poorly people communicate or how insensitive they can be to another's needs. When someone says' "I hate this job", instead of saying "Yeh I hate it too...just the other day...", say something like, "Yeh, this is a hard environment to work in. Are you sleeping OK"? But I am becomin more and more cognisant of how few people can actively listen or therapeutically communicate. To me,  it sends a clear message that many are so stressed and so into their enclosed world's stressors, that they have forgotten that it often does help to help another by actively listening to them and responding to them as if you heard them and that you care. I think the issue is that few have the reserve left, that many do not have the skills of communication and positive body language, and that many younger people were just not raised with the manners and ettique training some of we older ones were. The fear of authority had a lot to do with 'doing and saying the right thing'. I also believe that technology has removed many human physical contact factors and taken away 'paying attention' to those around you on a personal level.

No comments:

Post a Comment