Wednesday, June 22, 2011

That Which You Do That Is Responsible, Is Often The Most Difficult

When others need you, or just need someone, to help them, it will have its consequence. I just returned from a trip to Florida. It was to see an elderly couple, she 91 and he, 80. It was their birthday weekend. I was also down there to see my daughter and a friend who I consider my sister. They are all within 3 hours of one another. The elderly couple took me in as their own for many years. My mother had tuberculosis and spent nearly 3 years in a hospital. My Dad had six other children, ages 4 through 13. The friend that is like a sister to me, is the daughter of the couple that 'took me in'. They had an instant new member of the family. They  are wonderful, jolly people. At 91, my psuedo-mom iis still spry. At 80, my psuedo-dad still is fully functional and taking good care of both of them. At 67, my psuedo-sister is a newly diagnosed terminal cancer victim. She is their only child. She has 5 children and many grandchildren, even great-grands. She lives alone, near her parents. She has been divorced for a long, long time. So, the purpose of the trip was multi-faceted. I was there to see my 'second parents', I was there for their birthday parties, but most importantly- I was there for my 'sister'. She is going to die. She feels I am her only sibling. So I went with gifts and encouragement. Everyone I encountered will be affected by her illness and demise. Her 'children' who are 45-35, do not know where to go or what to do. They are pulling together (2 of them not so much), taking it day by day, as we all must do when faced with the many challenges life puts before us. Once again, I am faced with the fragility of life and its many miracles and gifts. Yet, once again, my own mortality and my life's gifts/blessings warrent time for appreciation. Now home, I must rest- because I flew in at 130 in the mornng and went to work a 15 hour shift the same day. But I did sleep 10 glorious hours last night and everything that I did which was stressful and challenging while away, was worth it, in some way/lesson or form.

No comments:

Post a Comment