Monday, January 31, 2011

Follow Your Gut & Intuitions

     I have been struggling lately with what I want to do as a next career move. I mean, I know I'm a nurse, but now I have my masters. I can go and do something better, something to help. I think I will slowly start a tutoring business. After all, I love to teach and I have seven years of teaching experience. I will have my own office, with my own one bed, one simulator teaching area (for hands-on clinical) and a double wide desk and white out board (academics). I will  provide one-on-one teaching. I will try and instill the values I have in nursing to new nurses. I will help those who struggle to understand. I struggled. I will give them positivity. I will hang outside my little log cabin (attached to my house) "M.S., RN, MSN, Student Nurse/CNA/GNA Tutor, Who Not Only Wants to Educate, But Who Also Wants to Bring Back the Passion For Patients to Nursing. There will be a small, quiet, wind chime outside, my walk way will be cobblestone, and my sign will squeak in the wind as it sways. I will be in Sedona, all said and done, but I will do the footwork here.
     Patients are not numbers. They need to feel heard and understood. They need to be educated and informed and clean and comfortable. Their fears need to be lessened by a special, genuine 'care giving' nurse or CNA/GNA caring for them. Patients will feel that everything will be alright (somehow & in some perspective). They will lay down their trust to the special, passionate nurse/CNA/GNA, if he or she helps them to feel better (in any aspect) and to feel genuinely cared about. I want to try and bring back to nursing practice the patient's perspective. It is to the lay person spelled out in one word: EMPATHY. Patients, after all, are human beings. They are not a bar code, a pain scale from 1-10, or a name and a birthday. There it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment